It's really difficult to keep the living room clean when I have my sewing stuff sprawled out all over the place....see what I mean...
|Sewing left over from the night before...|
1. Blog - now that I have a lot more time I plan to post more often.
2. Sew - I will definitely be posting about it.
3. Etsy - I am hoping to have something up and running in the next month or two. You know, handmade goods and vintage finds.
4. Thrift Store - I am opening a thrift store at the church Dustin and I go to. It's just a little room on the bottom floor of the church, but I'm super excited about it. It needs a lot of TLC before it opens.
5. Pack/Move - Yep, we're moving (location: still looking). Not anywhere far off, just a bit closer to Dustin's work. And we're going to live intentionally with a few excellent friends, another married couple and single gal. Will definitely need a larger space.
6. Spouse Duties - Cooking, Cleaning, Laundry, Groceries, Blah, Blah, Blah....ya'll know what I'm saying.
So let's get to the good stuff....
Sewing Project No.1
Baby Kimono & Bloomers
I received an email from my good friend, Martha Stewart, detailing how to make this cute little top....Martha's way. However, the directions to this baby are AWFUL. So unclear. I'm not a sew-pro so I need details, specifics, pretty pictures. If you're like me, try Narelle's way. Much better.
I did get a little fancy and added a few things.
First, I added cute little contrasting cuffs to the sleeves.
Second, I replaced the ties for snaps....first time ever sewing on snaps; not too difficult, the tricky part is making sure the snap "buddies" line up.
Even that was too plain. I added some jewels on top of the snaps to spice it up a bit.
Also, in Narelle's post, she added some matching bloomers to her top. Too cute to resist!
Ruffles aren't too difficult, but I find myself getting frustrated when they aren't perfect...I have to tell myself "It's okay Rave, they're just ruffles!" Perfectionism...a curse and a blessing. Talking to yourself...a sign of insanity.
I took it one step further and added a clothing label...my first branded item! It's kind of strange. I just did a test with t-shirt transfer paper and my blog header. Not real impressed with the turn out, but it's pretty cool to have my unofficial brand on something.
Here's the final product:
Red and White Dots - Amy Butler
Blue Butterflies - Unknown, vintage find
That's it for now...