Friday, January 7, 2011

With A Little Love And Some Tenderness...

So sorry for the abandonment.  A whole month? Really? Sheesh.

World Domination

Much has happened since the last time I posted.  My family and immediate friends/relative are single-handedly re-populating the world.  Or at least the state of Georgia.  By early to mid summer of 2011 there will be at least 6 new babies in my world since November.  Where are they coming from?!!  Wait, please don't answer that.  Let's move right along....

Dustin and I recently returned to Philly from our Christmas visit to Georgia and I must say that I sure do miss a lot of folks from back home.  You guys make it really hard for me to want to get up and go to work tomorrow morning.  Staying up late and writing this blog is going to make it really hard for me to get up and go to work tomorrow too.  Oh well, sleeplessness can be productive, right?

While at home, we made the normal rounds to visit all parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters and their offspring.  I did get to squeeze in a visit with my Big Mama (translation: great-grandmother) who is definitely in her prime.  She will be ninety in March and I don't think she's worn a bra in the past 25 or 30 years.  Just sayin.  Age ain't nothin' but a number ya'll.

I was thinking earlier, whilst tossing and turning in my bed, that I have a pretty large family: divorced parents, both remarried and 6 sisters and 3 brothers, most all of whom are married with kiddies.  I sometimes wish that we were closer as a family, though occasionally I do feel very connected.  As I was thinking about this and how I could compare it to something to make it make more sense (you know, an analogy...Dustin loves those) a mosh pit came to mind.  Weird, right?  Then it began to click for me.  In a mosh pit, a lot of people are in pretty close quarters all at one time.  However, not everyone is close to every person in that grouping at once.  You move around in the mosh pit getting closer to different people at different moments.  All the while, you're connected, on some level to everyone in the mosh.  Not everyone at every moment, but to each his own.  And I am okay with that.

Certified, Grade A, Mosh Pit
At different times in my life I have been closer to different siblings, different parents, different grandparents even, developing a connectedness that lasts even when a new period of my life (or theirs) brings me further from one and closer to another.  I can remember be really annoyed by sister Caitlin on a very regular basis when we were younger.  We had nothing in common and I didn't really want to have much to do with her.  Now that we both have grown (and through much forgiveness on her part) we have morphed into two sisters who care deeply for one another and are closer than we ever have been, though the physical distance isn't fun.

So, to all those out there who share my blood and those who don't; be it by marriage or by being a great friend;  you are my family.  And I just wanted to say thanks.

I also want to say that I had Hootie and Blowfish serenading me in my head with "Hold My Hand".


I want to love you the best that, the best that I can...

Side Note: We have come a long way in our music videos since the nineties.  Style too.  If you watch the video, which I would recommend, please check out the the crew socks on the guitarist on the far left.  Where was his stylist?

The End.



Keep Posted,

the rave

3 comments:

  1. Another clever entry girl.... you have a calling here. I love you are in the Tommey family! How's the wreath making?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janell! I haven't gotten to start my wreath yet. It's actually still in Ga or on it's way here. Dustin and I had to ship a lot (3 boxes) of stuff back to Philly because we couldn't pack it. Next time it might be smarter to drive to haul all of our stuff back and forth! I can't wait until it gets here though!

    ReplyDelete