Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Falling for Fall

Gourds Galore
I do not take Fall lightly.

There is something about Autumn that tends to take all of my stresses and frustrations and, moment by moment, relieve me of them.  A whiff of cool, fresh air followed by a tingling chill thats runs up the spine from the warmth of the sun relieves, even for a few moments, the weights of the world I let myself carry.  If I were forced to oscillate between intense summer heat and frigid winter cold I would be an emotional, bi-polar wreckage;  bouncing between the go-go-go stress of summer activities and the depressing "I'm ready for it to not be cold" stress of the winter.  I am so thankful for the season of life that allows me to sleep well at night with no heating or cooling, maybe just a cracked window letting Mother Nature lull me to rested-ness with her gentle whispers and perfect lullabies; to snuggle up underneath the perfect amount of sheets and quilts and be totally and utterly at rest.  Sigh.

My heart rejoices when the leaves of trees begin ever-so-slightly to resemble the dancing flames of campfires that have been and foreshadow those that are sure to come.  A repressed spirit emerges from within me that cries out to those I dare not forget....Apple Cider. Peanut Brittle. Pumpkin Pie. Peanut Butter Fudge.  My long time friends gather unfathomable strength upon the changing of the seasons and force themselves into fruition through the means of my feeble hands.  I am but a lowly vessel; sacrificing alloted grocery dollars to bring about the reign of the all things festive.  Maple Pumpkin Cheescake, you are queen.
Maple Pumpkin Cheesecake...Great Success!

Linvilla...a small portion of 300 acres
Aside from my complete servitude to all things dessert, I had the most incredible weekend.  For those of you who are not from the Philly-Metro area, I am going to indulge you in a not-so-secret place that produces many a variety of fruits, flowers and veggies.  For me, this is home-away-from-home.  A farm, an orchard to be exact.  Linvilla Orchards.  This is what city folk do to get their country kicks.  Throughout the year Linvilla capitalizes on the ever growing market of people who want fresh, wholesome, organic food and who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty to get it.  Literally.  Many people in this northern area don't have the means to farm or space to raise their own produce, so Linvilla allows people to come and "pick-your-own" or purchase from their Farm Market.  Their Market is well stocked with every kind of jam and preserve, honey and syrup, chow-chow and salsa, pie and pastry....everything you could imagine. During the spring/summer months they boast of a well stocked lake that people are allowed to spend the entire day fishing for free....if you catch and keep it's 3.99/lb.  No license required.  Come December, you can chop down and drag home your very own Christmas Tree!

Man of Many Talents
This time of the year their festival is centered around...you guessed it...pumpkins!  Dustin and myself along with some friends, Erin, Kelly, Stephen, Josh, and Andy, embarked on an adventure to pick our own apples and find the perfect carving pumpkin.  After sifting through trees brimming with Golden Delicious, Jonagold, Red Delicious, Fuji, Gala, Staymen Winesap, Honey Crisp, Granny Smith and Pink Ladies, we made our way to Pumpkin Land.  With gourds in sight, we neared the prize only to suddenly be distracted by an entrancing aroma wafting over from the other side of the Farm Market.  Whatever could it be?  I must admit I do tear up at the remembrance of this day.  JalapeƱo Poppers.  Potato Chip Rings.  Apple Fritters. FUNNEL CAKES!  Deep Fried Heaven!  I can't describe how hungry I instantly became.  Oh the joys of Fall.  We indulged and topped our Potato Chip Ring with Ooey-Gooey Cheese Sauce.  We devoured every last crumb. And then felt sick.  It was inevitable.
Behold....the Potato Chip Ring
Chomping down on a few juicy Golden Delicious apples :)
Night fell and we found the pumpkin(s) of our dreams and headed home; heads held high, eye lids barely held open.  It was only 7:30 PM.  Granted, I go to bed early, but not that early.  So we made a pit stop at Pinocchio's and selected a few fine, festive ales and headed home.  This Sunday was mine and Dustin's turn to host our Family Festival of Foods (where we get together, eat, share our hearts, seek God, and eat again...another blog for another day!) so we needed our rest in order to prepare and were dropped off at our doorstep.  Remaining in the front yard, backs to the earth, faces to the sky, we tried to take in the glory of a beautiful Fall evening alongside one another, hot mug of apple cider in hand.

Take me seriously when I say I love Fall.


Keep Posted!

the rave

1 comment:

  1. What a great day!!! Wish I had a piece of that delicious looking pie!

    ReplyDelete